Accordingly, permanent resident and temporary resident are the two terms that are quite familiar to many foreigners. However, many people do not know how to distinguish between temporary residents, permanent residents. Therefore, in this article LSX will give you a brief on the issue!
- 2014 Law on Entry, Exit and Transit
- Circular 31/2015/TT-BCA
- Decree 31/2014/ND-CP
What is permanent resident?
Hence the regulation in Article 12.1, 2014 Law on Entry, Exit, and Transit, permanent resident means that a citizen has a regular, stable, indefinite term in a certain place of residence and registered as a permanent resident.
What is temporary resident?
Hence the regulation in Article 12.1, 2014 Law on Entry, Exit, and Transit, temporary resident means that a citizen lives outside the place of permanent residence registration and registered for temporary residence.
Distinguish between temporary residents, permanent residents
On the basic
In essence, permanent residence and temporary residence are places where citizens live. However, the determination of permanent residence and temporary residence is different. Specifically:
- For permanent residence, it is the place where the citizen regularly lives, is stable and has registered with the competent authority
- For an ordinary temporary place of residence, which is an individual’s place of residence at a certain time, determined to be temporary and not to live there permanently or stably. Besides, a temporary place of residence is usually a place where an individual rents, stays, etc. to do business, live, study, etc.
Authority for the registration
Thus, the authority for permanent residence registration and temporary residence registration is different; and the authority for permanent residence registration will be broader than that for temporary residence registration. Specifically:
- For permanent residence registration the competent authorities are:
- Police of districts, towns, for registration of permanent residence in urban districts, rural districts and towns of centrally run cities,
- Or police of communes and townships of provinces, for registration of permanent residence in communes and townships of provincial districts,
- Police of provincial towns and cities in case of permanent residence registration in provincial towns or cities.
- For temporary residence registration:
- The competent authority is the police station of the commune, ward or township.
Conditions for temporary resident registration for foreigners
Hence the provision of the law, any foreigners that wish to register for temporary residence in Vietnam must fulfill the following requirements:
- Foreigners who are members of diplomatic missions, consular offices, representative offices of international organizations of the United Nations, intergovernmental organizations in Vietnam and their spouses, children under 18 years of age, help along with the term;
- Foreigners enter by visa with symbols LV1, LV2, LS, DT1, DT2, DT3, NN1, NN2, DH, PV1, LD1, LD2, TT;
- In case of re-issuing the temporary residence cards, foreigners can only get an exchange due to lost, damage or change of content.
Conditions for permanent residence registration for foreigners
Hence the regulation in 2014 Law on Entry, Exit, and Transit, one must fulfill the following conditions; in order to register for permanent residence:
- Foreigners who are scientists or experts temporarily residing in Vietnam, requested by ministers, heads of ministerial-level agencies or government-attached agencies in charge of state management of their professional fields.
- Foreigners, guaranteed by their father, mother, wife, husband and children who are Vietnamese citizens who are permanently residing in Vietnam and have temporarily resided in Vietnam for 3 consecutive years or more.
- Stateless people who have resided continuously in Vietnam since 2000 or earlier.
- Foreigners who have temporarily resided in Vietnam for 3 consecutive years or more.
About the period of residence
Following the provisions of the law, the time limit for permanent and temporary residence is as follows:
- The time limit for permanent residency is unlimited.
- The maximum duration for temporary residence is twenty-four months.
Thank you for paying attention to our article on “Distinguish between temporary residents, permanent residents in Vietnam”. Hope that this article will help you solve your problem. In case you have any questions, please feel free to contact Lawyer X for quick and best legal services: +84846175333.
Accordingly to Vietnamese law, a stateless person is a foreigner; so if a stateless person meets the conditions for permanent residence in Vietnam, he or she will fall into one of the cases that are considered for permanent residence at Viet Nam.
Basically, the applicant could only prepare one dossier as mentioned and another one in advance.
Accordingly, it costs 100 USD/card.