Hi LSX Lawfirm, I am a foreigner in Vietnam. I am 28 years old, but my girlfriend (Vietnamese) is 16 years old. In my country, we can marry. But, if we want to marry in Vietnam, what will happen? LSX Lawfirm will give you the answer based on this article: “What are banned cases from getting married in Vietnam foreigners need to know?”, as follows:
Law on Marriage and Family 2014
What are banned cases from getting married in Vietnam foreigners need to know?
1. Underage of legal marriage age (female under 18 years old, male under 20 years old).
2. One or both of them lose their civil act capacity.
3. One or both of them are married or have a husband.
4. Between adoptive parents and adopted children.
5. Between a person who used to be an adoptive father or mother and an adopted child.
6. Between people who used to be father-in-law and daughter-in-law, mother-in-law and son-in-law.
7. Between a person who used to be a stepfather and his wife’s stepchild.
8. Between a person who was once a stepmother and her husband’s stepchild.
So, if your situation belongs banned cases from getting married in Vietnam above, when you are 28 years old and you can marry if you strictly follow the laws of your country. However, when you want to marry a foreigner, specifically Vietnamese. It’s another matter. Accordingly; whether Vietnam and your country have joined any international conventions or signed a mutual legal assistance agreement on marriage issues? If not, you must first meet the requirements according to the laws of each person’s country.
Secondly; if the marriage takes place in Vietnam, the foreign male friend must meet the marriage conditions prescribed in the Law on Marriage and Family 2014. The male must be at least 20 years old to be allowed to register marriage, so your case cannot register your marriage in Vietnam. If you are getting married in a foreign country, you need to consider the laws of that country.
We think if you love girlfriend and live in Vietnam, you should keep calm and wait patiently when she’s old enough. Otherwise, it will be illegal.
You can also refer to the following article: How old are foreigners to marry Vietnamese people?
Contact LSX Lawfirm
We hope this article “What are banned cases from getting married in Vietnam foreigners need to know?” is useful for you. Related article you need refer to: In what cases does the law prohibit marriage with a foreigner?